Tucked away in Iron Mountain is a cabin you will want to call home!
Our East TN Ledgestone, Summitt, and Fieldstone styles were mixed together to create textures that mimic the rugged feel of the mountains. The color of choice is Dark Sahara.
Open the front and you will find a 20 feet tall fireplace that stretches 2 stories! The long firebox at the base adds a clean cut look that balances the various rugged textures it surrounds. In the bottom floor, another fireplace is planted in the background of a game room and theater room!
We were so thrilled to be a small part of this Pinterest-worthy fireplace remodel!
This gorgeous house sits right on the lake! We were honored to have our stone showcased from the front entry way, and the back lake view!
front entry way
We covered the front gable, steps, front door, and more in stone! The steps were also poured in place concrete that we colored to match the darker tones in East TN Ledgestone: Appalachian.
Back Lake View
Sills lined the beautiful dark gray and white windows and French doors,
opening up to a stunning view of the lake!
One of the best ways to accent the exterior of your home is to add stone to the chimney! These robust structures really help set your home apart from the neighbors!
Let us help you treasure your home with a charming chimney from Zion Stone!
Ok, fellow DIYers: are you ready to lay your own stone? Pinterest makes DIY projects look easy breezy, but sometimes a project requires a little more work than originally anticipated! Here are some helpful questions to ask yourself before you dive in.
why are you wanting to do this project?
1. MONEY: According to Remodeling's Cost vs. Value Study (link), manufactured stone veneer (MSV) has consistently remained in the top 3 highest return on investment of home remodeling projects, returning over 97% of its cost. MSV is typically half the price of "real" stone, and a lot easier to handle. You could save a lot of money upfront and in the long run by choosing MSV.
2. BEAUTY: Yes, we CAN make our homes look like those Pinterest houses! So why choose stone to do the Pinterest-worthy trick? Stone adds texture and natural color in places that would otherwise be dulled by standard construction materials, like dry wall. It brings the roots of our earth into your home and simply looks stunning.
3. TIMELESS: Shiplap is beautiful, but it is a trend (yes I just said that!). Stone has been in the foundations of earth for centuries and will never fade away. Depending on your color choice, stone truly is timeless.
Are you ready to invest your time & energy?
The first time I laid 5 square feet of stone, it took me about 3 hours. Masons reading that line will laugh! But it takes time to properly construct the foundation your stone is going on, prepare and gather the right materials, and lay out your design. It does get much easier as you go along, but it will take time and energy up front. Plus, it is a messy process! We actually have an Installation Guide available 24/7 on our site, and can recommend various YouTube videos!
Will you be happy once it's complete?
Your small fireplace could take you 2 hours, or 2 weeks, depending in your pace. There is no race and no competition for your unique project. We have a 30 year warranty on the color of our stone, so it is meant to last for generations. Once stone binds with mortar, it's extremely difficult (though not impossible) to remove from the original surface. At the end of the day, no matter how long it takes you or how many times you want to change out the color and style, will you be happy once it's complete?
Ready? let's do this!
I want to understand why I am doing something before I do it, and want to know the true impact of what that thing will have on my daily life. I hope these questions have helped shed some light on the reality of this DIY project. Whether you are ready to start laying your fireplace this second, or you want to wait a little bit longer, please know that you CAN do this! Even roses take time to bloom! We are always here to help so please feel free to contact us any time!
It's amazing to see a project go from plywood, to perfection!
1. The fireplace was angled at 45 degrees, so we could not put our 90 degree corners on it. It turned out looking so great! The key here was to have small grout lines on that angle.
2. The stove top archway was definitely a challenge, but we conquered it! It consisted of mostly corner pieces, with flats filling in the top. Make sure you have chosen the right key stone, else it may stand out in a bad way. Need help deciding on the right color for your accessories? We can help you through the entire process!
The stone has been laid. The mantel has been put in. The firebox is ready to be turned on. The only thing left to do is place the hearth! Here are some examples of what the fireplace should look like before the hearth is placed.
This gorgeous home located in Ridgefields Country Club was a staple to anyone who knew the streets of this neighborhood. Build in the late 1940s, this two story house sat on a corner lot, casting shadows upon surrounding houses. It was grand, but stuck in the 40s with white wood siding and iron decorative columns.
FROM BLACK & WHITE TO MODERN & SLEEK
Everyone who passes this house now does a major double take! The new homeowners revamped the siding to have a deep blue vinyl with white windows that make a dramatic pop! The faux shutters were removed, and the iron columns on the main level were colored to blend perfectly rather than stick out. Summitt: Tuscany was the perfect stone to skirt on the bottom, chimney top, around the garage, and on the second chimney on the left side of the house. Complete with green bushes, and pretty pink flowers around the front door, this house completely transformed without taking away from the grandeur of this country club staple.
We are very excited to launch the official Zion Stone Blog! Here you can find creative ways to bring your dream project to life! Our Co-Founder and COO, Jurnee, will be sharing her insider tips and tricks to help you along your remodel or new construction journey! Let's build your dream project together!
Jurnee is the